Pop Culture Monday
I can’t believe it. January is almost over and this is our last Pop Culture Monday writing prompt. If you started with us back in the beginning of January, congratulations for making it this far! If you are visiting WNFIN for the first time, welcome! Today, we are digging into sports trivia to learn a little bit about Tim Tebow and his interesting action on the field.
Let’s talk about the most famous NFL quarterback in today’s society. Known partly for his sports acumen but made famous for his religious beliefs, Tim Tebow is a source of fascination for many people. Even if you don’t know anything about football, I’m sure you must have heard about Tim and a curious thing he does on the field.
Writing Prompt 010
- Step 1: Do basic Internet research and learn a little bit about Tim Tebow and his activities with the New York Jets NFL football team. See if you learn some interesting tidbits.
- Step 2: Pay close attention to Tim’s actions on the field. He does one particular thing that is now known by a proper name. Know what it is? Find out why he does that thing and what that thing symbolizes.
- Step 3: Athletes from different sports have started copying Tim’s action. In some cases, the copying is sincere; in others, it merely signals a pseudo group mentality that “everyone else is doing it, so why not?” Think about the distinction between those two types of copying. How does it make you feel? Do you think it is okay for other athletes to copy Tim’s action? Is there sincerity in there somewhere or is the copying of the action an instant way to bring attention?
- Step 4: Describe your thoughts and feelings about Tim Tebow’s action and the copycat actions by others. If you do Tim’s action, be sure to incorporate that into your writing.
- Bonus Step: If you own a blog and wish to share a link to the blog post that contains your response to today’s writing prompt, we welcome your permalink and encourage you to post it as a comment below!
Please be sure to leave your comments about this writing challenge and prompt below. We want to hear from you!
About the Author
Amanda M. Socci, J.D., is a freelance writer with 14 years of experience writing professionally. Socci currently cuts her blogging chops on her personal portfolio blog, the Creative Idea Gal blog, and on an online news site, Mount Vernon Patch. Inspired by Nina Amir’s Write Nonfiction in November writing challenge, she created a unique 10-month training program for Writenonfictionnow.com and Writenonfictioninnovember.com blog visitors.
Grab the badge of honor and upload it to your blog. Follow the prompts three times a week (M-W-F) right here.