Do you ever wonder if you are making the right decision, feel confused about what to write next, or find yourself unsure about your writing career? If so, you lack clarity. Clarity helps you achieve your writing potential and purpose and write more easily and effectively.
Lack of clarity leaves you questioning and wondering in all areas of your life, including your writing career. It stops you from taking steps toward your goals and dreams as a writer.
Clarity also gives you the direction you want and need to move forward and create your writing career, form influential relationships, and produce marketable work. Additionally, clarity helps you become the writer you want to be.
What Happens When Writers See (or Don’t See) Clearly
Think about it: When you feel unclear about a goal, you have difficulty achieving it. If you don’t know where to go next with your manuscript, you feel lost, stuck and uncreative. And if you don’t know why you should build author platform, produce a book proposal or take on your next project, you lack committed to taking action.
Clarity helps bring into focus the result you desire, your destination, your connection to others, and your purpose. With this type of vision, you stop questioning and wondering and take decisive action in your writing career as well as in all areas of your life.
When you clearly see yourself—strengths and weaknesses—you can decide to improve yourself. You can choose to be more courageous, focused, present, or energetic, all characteristics that help you succeed as a nonfiction writer and author. You can change self-defeating habits, thoughts, and beliefs into ones that support you and your goals as a writer.
If you have a blurred vision of yourself, though, you continue to behave in the manner you have in the past and retain the same attitude, beliefs, thoughts, and habits. If you have trouble seeing your work clearly, you may continue producing writing that doesn’t meet the high standards necessary to succeed. You will continue to get the results you’ve achieved to date. If you want different results, you need to change your behavior and mindset.
10 Ways Writers can Gain Clarity
Getting clear isn’t always easy. However, the following tips and strategies can help you gain clarity on yourself and your work:
- Ask friends and co-workers for feedback about how to improve yourself, your performance or your writing.
- Evaluate your results. What actions, thoughts, beliefs, skills, and behaviors currently help you succeed, fulfill your purpose, or achieve your potential. (Do more of this!)
- Consult with an expert—a coach, counselor, or therapist.
- Journal daily about your feelings, thoughts, actions, results, and behaviors. Use what you write as a way to pinpoint problem areas and solutions.
- Describe your perfect writing day and completed nonfiction writing project.
- Describe who you’d like to be (as a writer or author).
- Describe how you would like to be known or remembered.
- Ask people how they would describe you. Decide if you like the words they use. If not, choose descriptors you like—and live into them daily.
- Evaluate what you like to do, are good at, or have passion for in the area of writing and publishing.
- Evaluate what you don’t like to do, aren’t good at, or feel disinterested in when it comes to writing and publishing.
Use this information to help you make your decisions and take action to move toward your dreams and goals. The clarity you gain will help you fulfill your purpose and potential.
Do you have clarity in your writing life? How does that help you succeed?
If you want to develop high-performance skills, habits, and character traits so you Achieve More Inspired Results in all areas of your life, discover how Certified High Performance Coaching might help you fulfill your potential and live your life with more clarity, courage, energy, productivity, and influence—and success. Apply for a 1-hour FREE High Performance Strategy Session with me today when you click here. Download the free-session application, and submit it. If you are a good fit for Certified High Performance Coaching, I’ll contact you to schedule a session. (Apply to find out how you can receive a FREE ticket to Brendon Burchard’s next High Performance Academy – valued at $997 – AND an Author Career Plan – valued at $999.)
Photo courtesy of geralt |Pixabay.com