Yes…you are bound for big things as a nonfiction writer.
You may not realize it yet, but you have within you the ability to author change in the world on a personal, organizational, or global level. You can make a positive and meaningful difference in the world with your words. You just need to write and publish your blog, book, or article.
It’s Simpler than it Seems
I know becoming an author—an author who inspires change—sounds simpler than it is. There are many steps to the process of becoming an author of any type. And the first step doesn’t involve writing or publishing. It requires that you accept that you have a special gift to give the world.
If no one has told you that lately, I will: As a nonfiction writer, you have a gift to give. Accept it!
That’s the simple part.
You have Permission and are Worthy
What can feel hard is believing that you have a gift to give and taking action necessary to give it to the world. But it’s time to give that gift…willingly, enthusiastically, boldly.
Maybe you feel you need permission to give your gift. If so, here you go: I grant you permission to become an author of change by giving your gift to all the readers who are ready and waiting for your book.
But you don’t need my permission. Give it to yourself.
Do you feel you aren’t worthy? Let me tell you, you are worthy and deserving of all the goodness and fulfillment that will come from sharing your wisdom, knowledge, expertise, experience, and insights with the world in the form of a book.
Who are You NOT to Write a Book?
If you are wondering, “Who am I to write a book?”, let me reverse the question: Who are you NOT to write a book?
You have a message to put in writing that can create transformation on some level. Why on earth would you not do just that…put it into writing and create transformation? (This is where writing and publishing come into play.)
Don’t let your fear stop you—especially any sense of inadequacy. No one has emphasized this better than Marianne Williamson. (That’s why I’ve quoted her more than once on this blog.) In her book A Return to Love, she writes:
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
Remember: “You are powerful beyond measure.” Remember this…always.
Then be the change you want to see in the world.
5 Ways to Be the Change
How do you do that? Here are five ways to get started authoring changing—being the change—right away:
- Be a role model. Demonstrate the change you want to inspire in others. In other words, be a role model. Do this with your actions, words, gestures, published work, attire, posture, relationships, and just about anything that reflects who you are and what you stand for.
- Share your message. Today, it’s possible to share inspirational and motivational messages in so many ways. You can post a status update on a social network, publish a blog post on your site or a guest post on someone else’s site, share a quote (of your own) with an image on a social media site, or comment on other people’s social media posts. You can share your message on Medium.com, in a short ebook, in a magazine article, or with a group of friends or associates. Know this: If you don’t share your message, no one will hear it.
- Speak to your audience. Just because you aspire to become a nonfiction author doesn’t mean your voice only need come through on paper. You have the ability to speak—so do so! It’s easy enough these days to pull up a soapbox and share your message verbally. For example, you can talk to people via a podcast of your own, or you can produce a Youtube video or a LinkedIn, Facebook, or Instagram live video. Or get out into the real (not virtual) world and talk to a small, medium, or large group of people. You also can start talking to everyone you know…tell them about your dream of authoring change. Tell them about your mission or cause.
- Become an author. You don’t have to wait for authorship until you write and publish a full-length book. You can write a short book…fast and publish it on Kindle or even as a PDF sold or given away from your website. Your ebook need only be 4,000 words or so in length to make a big difference and begin motivating readers to change.
- Develop an online presence. You can reach more people than ever today by merely being visible online. That means setting up a website and blog ASAP. Create a free blog if necessary using WordPress.com; you can convert it to a self-hosted (using paid hosting and WordPress.org software) one later. Share your message there first. Then, create social media accounts on as many sites as possible, and share your blog posts to these sites. Make it easy for people to find you and your mission and get involved.
No More Excuses
If you are still coming up with reasons why you can’t or shouldn’t write your book and make a difference in the world, know that they are all excuses. It’s time to give them up…one and all.
The only thing standing in your way of successfully making a difference in the world is…you guessed it…YOU. Get out of your own way!
Your excuses just keep you stuck. They don’t help you or your potential readers create change.
So, promise me: No more excuses.
Make Your Difference
Instead, take responsibility for your thoughts and behaviors. And take responsibility for the gift you have to give the world. Give it…willingly, enthusiastically, confidently…as an act of great service to your readers and the world.
Go make your difference as a nonfiction writer…today!
How are you going to give your gift—and make a difference as a nonfiction writer—today? Tell me in a comment. And, if you found this post useful, please share it with other nonfiction writers.
Not sure you are ready to write a book that makes a difference? Take this quiz to find out.
Would you like to learn more about becoming a succesfull, prolific, and productive nonfiction writer? Check out the Nonfiction Writers’ University MASTERS program, where you can receive ongoing Certified High Performance Coaching, including the High-Performance Writer and Charged Writer programs. Learn all the steps to becoming a successful—and profitable—author. Discover how (finally) to write consistently, boldly, enthusiastically, and productively. Develop the mindsets, strategies, habits of the world’s most successful writers. Make your difference today. Click here to learn more.
If you aren’t ready for the Nonfiction Writers’ University Masters program, explore the Nonfiction Writers’ University. You can enjoy a 30-day trial membership for only $1.
Photo courtesy of Konstantin Kirillov|123RF.com