Not too long ago I heard a panel of acquisition editors speak about publishing spiritual books. Here are a few of the things they had to say about the books and authors they are now publishing:
- They want books that are the author’s life purpose.
- They want want authors who have a passion for their subject.
- They want books that are shorter–25,000-50,000 words.
- They want less traditional New Age topics.
- They want more “evergreen” spirituality topics.
- They like books that speak to the difficulties people have (self-help books).
- They want authors who combine expert status with platform.