Lots of Write Nonfiction in November participants write books, although you can take on a shorter nonfiction project. This year, those who do, indeed, decide to write a book from scratch, have the chance to participate in a post-WNFIN virtual pitch slam. Even though WNFIN is not a contest, participants who do, indeed, write a book in a month during the WNFIN challenge can win a post-challenge prize.
This year the San Francisco Writers University, part of the non-profit San Francisco Writers Conference, The Writer Entrepreneur Network, and four literary agents and authors have teamed up with WNFIN/NaNonFiWriMo to reward non-fiction book writers for their hard work in November. Anyone who starts and finishes a book during the challenge can enter the virtual pitch slam. They can enter their pitch, a 25-75 word “elevator speech,” to the team of agents who will select a grand prize winner as well as a second and third place winner.
The first place, grand prize consists of:
- a 45-minute in-person or phone consult with literary agent April Eberhardt, an advocate for authors exploring traditional as well as independent publishing options, focused on how best to hone your work for any form of publication, be it traditional or independent, as well as discussion of the best strategy for your overall body of work
- a 30-minute phone consultation about your non-fiction work with non-fiction literary agent Michael Larsen
- a free one-year membership in San Francisco Writers University (value $49), along with 10 downloadable writing classes of their choice (value $100)
- a free membership in The Writer Entrepreneur Network www.theWENet.ning.com
- copies of literary agents Jeff and Deborah Herman’s Write the Perfect Book Proposal and Jeff Herman’s Guide to Book Publishers, Editors, and Literary Agents
The second place winner receives a copy of Chuck Sambuchino’s Create Your Writer Platform: The Key to Building an Audience, Selling More Books, and Finding Success as an Author and WNFIN founder Nina Amir’s books, How to Blog a Book, Write, Publish and Promote Your Work One Post at a Time and a 15 minute platform or blogging consult with Nina Amir.
Third place winner receives WNFIN founder’s Nina Amir’s books, How to Blog a Book, Write, Publish and Promote Your Work One Post at a Time, and How to Evaluate Your Book for Success.
Agents will review the pitches in the weeks following the end of the WINFIN challenge, and winners will be contacted by the end of December.
If you want to learn how to pitch, please read tomorrow’s blog post at Write Nonfiction NOW!, the sister blog to this one.
You can write a book any time, but why not do it during November when so many other writers are doing so as well? Plus, during Write Nonfiction in November you can learn all about writing, publishing and promoting your book by following the WNFIN blog and learning from 27 or 28 great experts in the publishing industry.
Are you ready for the WNFIN challenge? I hope so. You can sign in to participate here.